Tuesday, April 11, 2017

It's Toosdy! Ear Candy Toofer Toosdy

Err ... THREEfer, again, really. Sometimes it's difficult for me to hold it to three videos and dadgum near impossible to post just only too .. I mean two. No screaming guitars this week, but a man whose voice is so versatile it hits the same high note goody spots for me as nearly any guitar. Roy Orbison used to live in a Nashville suburb back in the 60's. A wonderful guy I used to work with Named Freddie was attending TSU at about the same time. Freddie was an industrious sort who grew up in the shadows of Augusta National and caddied for many of the greats who played there. Freddie was no slouch on the golf course, himself, let me tell you. Despite the coke bottle glasses he wore. Think George Jefferson, but a LOT smarter and a LOT funnier! Anyway, Freddie was an industrious sort, as I mentioned and during his college days when he wasn't making money beating folks at golf, he bar-tended at parties around Nashville and also parties at some of the wealthy celebrities around town. He told me about meeting Mr. Orbison, who by that time was nearly blind, and how he had introduced so many other music stars in attendance to Freddie. Freddie told me, "B. when I got there to set up, Mr. Orbison showed me where to set up and where his booze was and we started setting up. He never asked me what I charged and I never got the chance to tell him. He kept bringing people over to introduce to me like me'n him been friends for years. At the end of the party when we were cleaning up he came over and sat at the bar, told me how much fun he had ... Everybody was DRUNK, B. him too!. and he picked up a cocktail napkin then began writing on it with a pen. He wrote me a check. On a cocktail napkin and handed it to me and asked "Is this enough?". It was about $500 MORE than enough, if I could cash it!" "He wrote a man's name on the back and told me to take it to First American National Bank." I said "Damn, Freddie did they cahs that napkin?" Freddie hollered "SHiiiiit! YEAH, they cashed it! and old Mr. So-and-So didn't even ask me my name or anything. He said he could tell it was Mr. Orbison's signature and he did that kind of thing all the time."

I heard In Dreams, again, last week about this time and to tell you the truth, even after a big dose of Floyd over the weekend and Zeppelin Sundy, when I got up this morning these three songs were playing back to back. Again. Since last week. Roy Orbison and Joe Melson. Torch song writers. Beautiful words and music. Ear Candy Extraordinaire. Here you take these ear worms. Enjoy ....


Dum-dum-dum-dumdy-doo-wah
Ooh-yay-yay-yay-yeah
Oh-oh-oh-oh-wah
Only the lonely
Only the lonely

Only the lonely (dum-dum-dum-dumdy-doo-wah)
Know the way I feel tonight (ooh-yay-yay-yay-yeah)
Only the lonely (dum-dum-dum-dumdy-doo-wah)
Know this feeling ain't right (dum-dum-dum-dumdy-doo-wah)

There goes my baby
There goes my heart
They're gone forever
So far apart

But only the lonely
Know why
I cry
Only the lonely

Dum-dum-dum-dumdy-doo-wah
Ooh-yay-yay-yay-yeah
Oh-oh-oh-oh-wah
Only the lonely
Only the lonely

Only the lonely (dum-dum-dum-dumdy-doo-wah)
Know the heartaches I've been through (ooh-yay-yay-yay-yeah)
Only the lonely (dum-dum-dum-dumdy-doo-wah)
Know I cry and cry for you (dum-dum-dum-dumdy-doo-wah)

Maybe tomorrow
A new romance
No more sorrow
But that's the chance

You gotta take
If your lonely heart breaks
Only the lonely

Dum-dum-dum-dumdy-doo-wah

I was all right for awhile
I could smile for awhile
But I saw you last night
You held my hand so tight
As you stopped to say, "Hello"

Oh, you wished me well
You, you couldn't tell
That I'd been crying over you
Crying over you

When you said, "So long"
Left me standing all alone
Alone and crying, crying
Crying, crying

It's hard to understand
But the touch of your hand
Can start me crying

I thought that I was over you
But it's true, so true
I love you even more
Than I did before

But, darling, what can I do?
For you don't love me
And I'll always be crying over you
Crying over you

Yes, now you're gone
And from this moment on
I'll be crying, crying
Crying, crying
Yeah, crying, crying
Over you

A candy-colored clown they call the sandman
Tiptoes to my room every night
Just to sprinkle stardust and to whisper
"Go to sleep. Everything is all right."

I close my eyes, Then I drift away
Into the magic night. I softly say
A silent prayer like dreamers do.
Then I fall asleep to dream My dreams of you.

In dreams I walk with you. In dreams I talk to you.
In dreams you're mine. All of the time we're together
In dreams, In dreams.

But just before the dawn, I awake and find you gone.
I can't help it, I can't help it, if I cry.
I remember that you said goodbye.

It's too bad that all these things, Can only happen in my dreams
Only in dreams In beautiful dreams.

2 comments:

  1. That's a fantastic story. A man's got clout when banks agree to cash his napkin.

    I am a bit too young to have been part of the Orbison audience- I was 16 when he died. A couple weeks back, I watched that old black and white concert he did right before he died - the one with Springsteen and Costello and even Tom Waits lurking at the back?

    I was reminded again how his voice didn't even sound human.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EV-REE-BODY! wanted to be able to sing like Roy Orbison then. I sounded just like him for about a year 8th and 9th grade. The Big O was very popular amongst the young ladies right about that time, with tender songs like these three playing on WCOS. Heck, even my Momma like Roy Orbison.
      Mr. Orbison sold a many plenty MORE records after that Black And White Night dealio, too!
      Thanks for coming by, Harry ...

      Delete

Speak Your Mind. This Is Fucken 'Murka!